Thursday, January 21, 2010

Recap of Sewing Class @ Home Ec

Last night I finished my sewing 101 class with Jenny Ryan @ Home Ec.
The first class we learned all the basics of the sewing machine. Bobbin winding, threading the machine, straight and zig zag stitching. Always remember to put the presser foot down before sewing!

The second class we started sewing our tote bag. We had the option of cutting our fabric with scissors or a rotary cutter. The blade and cutting mat looked all too familiar so I tried that method. The rotary is a completely different sensation from an x-acto knife; instead of pulling back towards you, you are pushing down and rolling forward. Even though I had a ruler to guide me, I still had a hard time cutting the pattern straight. Next time I will rely on these handy dress maker shears.

Jenny was a great teacher, there to guide us but not over bearing.

It was so much fun and I am completely pleased with my tote. It is not perfect but you can't even tell! Pretty good for my first time making something out of fabric.
My completed tote- I'm in love with this print!
These are the tote straps.
This fabric, and all the tools are avilable at home ec for purchase.
I wanted to take photos of the shop but I was too busy learning :)
I hope to get in there soon!
p.s. i want these scissors they're so cute!
See all Classes
Home Ec

3815 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026

1 comment:

  1. Look at you little sewer bean! Your bag is so cute!!! I think rotary cutters and box cutters and X-actos are a triplet made in heaven. Cutting things is the best part of sewing *=*.



Related Posts with Thumbnails