Friday, February 11, 2011

Handmade Valentines

A brit told me that in England (and I think all of the UK) that a person only sends a Valentine to the person they are in love with, and that they don't sign it. It's a bit of a guessing game who it's from, sometimes the cards are spritzed with perfume, or kissed with red lipstick. That sounds very exciting, but you only get to receive one valentine? And even sadder, you only get to make one valentine?  Lucky for me, in the US, you send Valentines to everyone- parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers, friends, and your significant other. This week I had some time to sit down and make my Valentines. Katrina sent me an amazing surprise package which included these vellum envelopes. I've never seen vellum envelopes in such pretty colors. They had to be a part of this years' handmade valentines. Before I even made the cards, I decorated the front of the envelopes with stamps and stickers.

I used these alphabet stamps, they are the perfect size!

The vellum took the ink surprisingly well, I was worried it would smudge but all the envelopes dried overnight. You have to be careful with pigment ink and shiny surfaces.
For the cards I used a variety of materials- origami paper, washi tape, index cards, stickers, an x-acto knife, glue, and metallic pens.
 Some details...
 These letters were cut out of washi tape.
 Origami paper, deco paint pen, and sharpie.
 A folded up surprise- origami paper, washi tape, ballpoint.
I didn't make all my valentines- that's annoying customer in there! He's too cute as cupid to not be included.
Valentine's day without chocolate just isn't really valentines day. Each of my valentines comes with a little treat bag, filled with my favorites.
This weekend, Katie and I are going on a girls only road trip to Northern California. I'm really looking forward to it, Santa Cruz and San Francisco are my top two California cities. I must go pack for 'cold' weather.

Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a scientific study stationery set, and please vote for me for best paper shop. I hope you have a great Valentine's Day weekend, whatever you do and wherever you are!


  1. It is true, in the UK you only get the one...unless you have LOTS of admirers!

  2. These are all so lovely! Love your use of origami paper.




Related Posts with Thumbnails