Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Post

I'm always looking for ways to decorate my letters. You might have guessed that I have a large collection of rubber stamps but I am always looking for more. When I saw the custom stamp setting kit from Martha Stewart I thought it would be the perfect addition to my outgoing mail.
It comes with 2 rectangular bases ( one is pictured above) and 2 round bases. There are rows of notches, where you place individual letters.
As soon as I started cutting the letters apart I knew it was headed for trouble. Some are so tiny and have incredible bouncing power when they hit the table.  I got these peach compartment boxes from that shop in Little Tokyo. Included in this set are three alphabets: a large flourished type for monograms, a standard serif type, and a tiny sans serif type. I cut them all apart and organized them into three little boxes.
Setting up this address took about 15 minutes. Next time I will gather all the letters I need first, instead of "now I need an e." Sometimes it takes me doing something the wrong way first to realize a better way to do it. After the letters were set up, I practiced stamping.  The address needed slight adjustments that were pretty impossible to do without nails. Once the letters are locked into the base, it is hard to get them repositioned. The kit comes with tweezers but they are plastic and useless. You need precision to place the letter and force to pop it into the notch. Mixing different types of letters is also tricky, since they need different pressure. The small letters get filled in with ink, while the larger letters don't get the impression they need.
After 7 adjustments I was finally happy with the results.
I stamped it on a tag and taped it to my letter. I won't be setting up another address anytime soon. The second stamp, is from this set. Sophie, my Australian pen pal introduced it to me.
All of my replies are ready to go.

Sophie: I was so happy to see a letter from you. Yours is on the way.
I learned a lot about my mom, just asking her about the photos. After hearing all the stories, it made me want to go on a road trip.
A log book sounds very official :) I have a drawer where I add items that are "to be sent."


  1. Such beauty! I think I am going to have to get my hands on some of those stamps.

  2. Just got mine yesterday! Reply to come soon!



Related Posts with Thumbnails