Thursday, March 3, 2011

This land is your land

My parent's neighbors were spring cleaning and came across a pile of maps, photographs, and brochures from a road trip their family took in the late 60's. My dad thought I would enjoy seeing them so he brought them home for me. Can you see the cross country route the planned out?
I have no idea how long this trip lasted, but I imagine it must have taken at least 2 months.

They hit a lot of major US cities, and from what I can tell placed that are circled is where they stayed for a few days.
I would love to take a cross country trip like this. I want to go so many places. Out of our 50 states I've only been to Oregon, Washington, New York, Massachusetts, Nevada, Colorado, Montana, and Hawaii. Most of this list were visits to big cities, like Las Vegas. So can you say you've really gotten to know a place after visiting one town?
I really hope that we can take a southern road trip. I want to go to Memphis, Nashville, Savannah, Atlanta, and New Orleans. I heard that summer is not the best time to visit the south, I do prefer a dry heat but I'll take what I can get.
I'm going to go through the pile of photos and brochures today, scan and edit them. I'll share more tomorrow.

Where do you want to go? What's your favorite US state/city and why? 
Though I grew up and still live in California I never get tired of the small towns, big cities and beautiful scenery. I still want to explore more of the coast. When I was young we took many road trips up the coast into Oregon but now that I'm actually aware of my surroundings, I need to go again.


  1. well your welcome to join me on mine! starting in boston this august, ending in seattle in october. could not be more excited xx

  2. I would love to visit Minneapolis. I hear the weather is great in summer and the architecture is so cool. I don't know if I could pick a favorite city! I like L.A., San Diego, Seattle, New York, Portland, Houston, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Baton Rouge... but San Francisco might have a slight edge... I like that the city is small but diverse, close to the water and near lots of my friends!

  3. How fun to have a map like that as a souvenir of the route you drove - I would love to do a roadtrip like that too, there are so many places to see!



Related Posts with Thumbnails