Thursday, March 29, 2012

Buried Treasure No. 4

Last spring Tony and I drove almost 1400 miles to Austin, Texas. We made stops in Flagstaff, Sedona, Albuquerque, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns before we got to Austin. Tony drove the whole way because I was on paid killers for my broken foot. I was navigator and road chef. I made some of the best sandwiches of my life. Some highlights from the trip:
Barton Springs (Austin) is the perfect place to cool off on a hot day. $3 gets you in and out access all afternoon.
 Carlsbad Caverns (New Mexico) was a sight to see. I didn't walk down because of my foot, but Tony did and I took the elevator down to meet him.
This is the view from right inside the cavern. 

In the 1950's there was a big cafeteria down in the caverns and you could dine and smoke there. Now it's just a small refreshment stand.
Came across this great candy shop in Austin, stocked up for the trip back. 
I never met an ice cream, or an ice cream sign that I didn't like.
We enjoyed all the outdoor seating at the south west restaurants. 
We took a "shortcut" on an old mountain road and came across this post office.
The red rock in Sedona, Arizona. 
A city street in Austin. 
The best thing I found in Austin- this sno cone truck. We visited this truck about 6 times. I couldn't get enough. Road trips are the best.
All photos by Margaret Haas taken with my 35mm minolta.
What is buried treasure?


  1. It looks like a great place to visit. I can't believe how far you drove though! For me a 2hr journey by car feels too long! American road trips are hard core :)

  2. I have been to that post office in Oatman!!!!



Related Posts with Thumbnails