Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Guest Post No. 6 - Pugly Pixel

Hey everyone, My name is Katrina and I blog at Pugly Pixel. I'm learning Photoshop and blog design, and Pugly Pixel is where I share my discoveries. Lately, I've been tinkering with Photoshop, and while Margaret's away, I'm going to share something I've been experimenting with --- confetti textures. I've photographed some metallic confetti and created a download that you can use as texture overlays on your photos. Here are a few examples showing how I used them. These textures work especially well with light backgrounds. 
If you're unfamiliar with how to use textures, it's really easy. Here's how:
1. Open your photo in Adobe Photoshop (I'm using CS*)
2. Open one of the confetti textures. Copy and paste it onto your photo. 
3. Select the confetti texture and change the blending mode. I changed mine to Multiply. 
4. Add a layer mask to the confetti texture. 
5. Select a black brush and stroke the areas where you want your original photo to be visible. That's it! 

If these steps are unclear to you, please check out my blog for similar tutorials: 
I hope you have fun with these textures. :)
All photos by Katrina Tan.

22 comments:

  1. ahh! i'm such a fan of both paper pastries + pugley pixel! great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! such a great way to spruce up a photo. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with both you girls about going mental over anything confetti-esque! this share is great Katrina, thank you!! wonderful guest to have in your space Margaret - i'm a HUGE fan of everything related to Pugly Pixel. cheers, this will be massive fun to play around with. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Katrina! Super fun confetti (and as always, inspiration). So happy to have found Paper Pastries, too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the awesome feedback --- so happy you like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, these are FABULOUS!! I'm a huge fan of Pugly Pixel~ thank you so much for all of your downloads, you're the best!!*:. ~ Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, I'm realizing I've only just scratched the surface with all the fantastic things you can do with blogs - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, thank you! I've used it to jazz up your own blog design, the lemon meringue v.2 - hope that's ok with you! If you want to see it in action I'm at www.kisskissdahling.blogspot.co.uk

    Thank you so much again! XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent stuff as usual from Katrina - thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is beautiful!!!


    xAnna
    fairytalefrocks.blogspot.com

    ps. Join my giveaway and win the most beautiful sapphire necklace!
    http://fairytalefrocks.blogspot.nl/2012/06/giveaway-north-way-studio.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally tried this and it's such a fun look. Thanks again for another great idea Katrina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you want to see it, check out http://banglesandbungalows.blogspot.com/2012/07/design-star-stephanie-owen.html Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you! I will be using the heck outta these! too cute! i am going to re-do my header soon enough with them

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh no! I dont think i can use these....unless you can tell me how to do it with gimp?! any help from anyone would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you can't copy and paste in photoshop elements, well if you do, it just covers the photo, it doesn't just put the confetti on the photo - does anybody have an idea how to get around this?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I can't wait to try this out and spruce up some of my images. I also appreciate the clear instructions on how to do this. As a new blogger I keep getting amazed at all the fun things that are out there. Thank you so much for sharing and I can't wait to explore your blog more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot for sharing these amazing confettis !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts with Thumbnails