Wednesday, June 20, 2012


Did you know that I recently became obsessed macarons? Really, in the last 6 months.
These aren't to be confused with macaroons which are usually coconut and not at all pretty.
We are having them as dessert for our wedding and our baker wanted to know which flavors we were interested in.
I had no idea. So before Tony and I left for Israel we headed downtown to Bottega Louie. They have a really impressive
array of flavors.
So we got one of each flavor: lemon, mandarin chocolate, pistachio, earl gray, strawberry, salted carmel, matcha, passion fruit, rose, espresso,
raspberry, vanilla, and grand cru.
Though they were all delicious some were too sweet to have more than one of. Our favorites are:
lemon, earl gray, matcha, raspberry, and espresso.
Fun to try all of them :)
Do you have any flavors your recommend? Something we are missing and have to try?
all photos by Margaret Haas


  1. My local Vietnamese restaurant recently started selling macarons. It's the first time I've been able to find them locally. I love them, but at $2 apiece, I can only afford them for special occasions.

    Those colors are to die for -- I can only assume that the flavors are as well!

    1. Yes, for special occasions only. I'd say my wedding day is the most special it's going to get ;) What's your favorite flavor? I have a hard time picking since they will be enjoyed by our guests, not just by us.

  2. <3 oh my word - those are SO cute! pistachio sounds devine!

    1. I can't believe I didn't like them before this year!

  3. That's funny because I became obsessed with Macaroons after eating those chocolate dipped ones at Joe's in NY. Did I make you try one? You're right though - totally not as pretty and probably not as good at those.

  4. Replies
    1. hard to photograph instead of eating right away, they also smell great

  5. I think I'm in love! These pictures are gorgeous! I've never had a macaroon before but now I'm going to desperately try to find a shop that sells them around where I live! :)

  6. I got a lot of compliments on the Bottega Louie espresso ones. I personally love lavender, matcha, and rose.

    Other places you can try -- Patisserie Chantilly in Lomita (you can really taste the ingredients), Merely Sweets in Brea (delicious place, especially the hazelnut chocolate macaon), and Sweet & Saucy in Long Beach (they also have one opening in Newport Beach, I would go with them if you want something different)!

    Hope these recommendations help! :)

  7. rose water is absolutely amazing as is lavender!

  8. Our local French bakery makes watermelon macarons that are wonderful. I know it sounds weird, but if you've ever had Asian melon flavored cookies, they're kind of like that. They aren't very sweet, and wonderfully subtle.



Related Posts with Thumbnails