Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY Using Glue Gun Sealing Wax

I just finished up some Harry Potter inspired party invitations and wanted to share the envelopes. I practiced and practiced the lettering and I think I finally got it down.
To give the envelope that little something extra, I had a wax seal made. I provided Old School Seals with a file, and I got this 1.75 inch round, about a week later.
I had a lot of trouble finding traditional sealing wax in royal blue. Luckily, glue gun sealing wax comes in a ton of colors so I was able to find a perfect match. Pulling this trigger over and over again made my finger tips raw, I finally figured out the trick. 
Patience! Wait until two or three drops come out of the glue gun, that means the wax is really hot and will come out easily.
I wouldn't recommend resting the glue gun on the paper, the feet could leave little indents.
Squeeze out a large round pool and make sure it's larger than the diameter of your seal. Let it sit for about 15 seconds.
Then place the seal directly in the center and push down. I like to leave it for about 10 seconds.
If you're looking for a perfect circle, it will take a bit of practice. I thought the design was a little lost so I decided to try something. 
I got out my metallic ink pads and tapped silver over the seal a few times.
It really made the design stand out.
It took me a while but I finally got them all sealed. I licked the envelopes before sealing them, I just wanted to be sure they didn't open during mailing.
These are all the supplies I used: metallic ink, glue gun sealing wax, custom wax seal, and a low temp glue gun from Michael's. 


  1. They look amazing! That metallic ink really sets it off - what a great wax seal!

  2. OMG, those came out beautifully. So talented!

  3. Omg this is so creative and beautiful. Love it!



Related Posts with Thumbnails