Friday, October 4, 2013

A Birthday Surprise

Tony's 30th birthday just passed. We celebrated with a weekend in San Francisco. All that week, I was working on a surprise. I saw this idea on Oh Happy Day, used for an anniversary. Ever since I saw it, I had hoped I would remember the idea for Tony's birthday. So, first I went to the Paper Source and picked out a variety of envelopes and cards in blue and green, his favorite colors.
Then I emailed everyone he knows- elementary school friends, college roommates, family, band mates, coworkers. I told them what I was working on and asked them to submit a favorite memory they had of Tony. I then cut and pasted them all into a word document and printed out the pages. 
Then, I wrote out each memory of a separate card.  
Some memories were so long, I had to type them out, or they wouldn't have fit. 
I also printed out 83 pictures, since he was born in 1983. 
Then I laid out the envelopes into a "30" shape on the floor. Otto "helped." 
While we were in San Francisco, Katie and Nat went and put up the envelopes for me. He loved it! And I loved it too. Since we were apart during college (I was in Santa Cruz, he was in LA), I missed a lot of concerts, ragers, and dinner parties. It was great to be able to hear about those moments through his friends. It was fun to hear about how he was when he was little too, interactions with family members and young friends. Reading about how wonderful he's been his whole life did make me fall a little bit more in love with him ;)
P.S. You still have time to enter the giveaways from red type ink and small couture.

4 comments:

  1. what a fantastic present, so sweet and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's really sweet! I'm working on an anniversary surprise for my husband next week. This gives me an idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts with Thumbnails