Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Ex Postal Facto

Isn't it funny how you always hear someone's name over years and years, and then one day you "meet" (online, but still) and you really like her? Then you realize- she's the one you've been hearing about! This was the case with Jennie of Red Letter Day. 
It all started when I tweeted about places I visited while in Japan Town in San Francisco. Jennie replied that she would have loved to recommend some of her favorite places. I mentioned that I go up to SF fairly often, so I would love a list. Then Anne chimed in, asking if I would be there for Ex Postal Facto in February. "What's that?" I asked, and then suddenly, a whole world opened up. I looked it up. I was interested. I emailed Jennie. I'm going to be vending at the show during the weekend of EPF. 
During the EPF weekend, there is going to be an exhibit of the mail art. You can submit, but there are only a few days left, more info here.
I did more research. All over, I kept seeing the word "artistamp" I had no idea what it was, so I googled it. I found this wikipedia page. SO COOL. These are some I found on flickr:
 Above three by Wacky Stuff.
By Donovan. 
by Kate Lee.
By Missive Maven.
 By Donovan.
 By bflat52. 
By Rosiesnumberoneboy.
I want to make some for the show. I also found this article helpful. Have any of you ever made artistamps?
First photo from EPF.

10 comments:

  1. I have never made artistamps, but I am fascinated with them too! Cool examples you rounded up here. You need to check out Jennie's book (with Carolee Gilligan Wheeler) Good Mail Day (are you familiar with it already?). There is a whole chapter on artistamps and faux postage (chapter 8). This book has inspired me to no end. :) How cool that you will be vending at the show in February! I wonder if that's enough notice for me to figure out a way to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have it somewhere, I'll have to dig it up! Thanks for the reminder- I forgot she was also a part of that book :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Amber, the book is awesome! You must get it or check it out@the library! ;-) Congratulations on the vending gig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't artistamps delish!! I will see you in SF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ex Postal Facto looks like it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie's book is what got me excited about doing mail art again. Her work is awesome. Too bad SF is so far away for me. It was a link on the ExPostalFacto site that brought me here to see you found my Get Rid of Everything Day stamp. It brought a smile to my day. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great piece, I'm glad I came across it :)

      Delete
  6. These are fabulous. I have never seen artistamps before. I wish I lived closer so I could attend the event, but maybe I can start saving for next time. I found your blog through Saturday Morning Vintage. It's nice to meet another paper lover. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

Related Posts with Thumbnails