Thursday, October 3, 2013

Washington DC via Instagram

Tony and I are home and we had a wonderful trip! We've been meaning to go ever since his best friend bought a house and invited us. I decided to make it a trip for business and pleasure. We had a little vacation, but also had a booth at Crafty Bastards.
I really enjoyed taking the train around, it was easy to figure out, and the trains were very frequent.  
Our first day we met up with my college roommate Allie, and took a walk around Georgetown and the Potomac.  
Tony had the wonderful idea to rent a canoe. I said I would go as long as I didn't have to row!  
Later, we walked around and saw the construction on the Washington Monument. It has looked like this since the earthquake. It lights up at night. 
We hit up the flea market which is where I found some gifts.  
This was in front of the flea market. I love collective art projects like this- that encourage community involvement.
We took a "duck" tour that was actually pretty fun. The weather was perfect and we were taken around to all the sites.

I tried a new booth set up this time- I think it works!
I found some great stuff at Craft Bastards. More on that later. 
Probably my favorite tourist activity was going to the Post Office Museum. There was an exhibit on postage stamps that was just fascinating. They had a sign "choose 6 stamps to start your collection." I had a hard time choosing. But then Tony came over and I choose 6 for him too. 
There was also a "make your own stamp" feature, Allie and I chose to "take it back 100 years." 
 On Sunday we went to the Archives. Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, great gift shop.
One night we went to Dangerously Delicious Pies, thanks to a readers suggestion. I LOVED it! So good. 
One morning we went to the old post office- not to be confused with the post office museum. This is a very cool building with a tower that has great views of the city. It's being turned into a hotel. 
Our last tourist activity was a tour of the money factory. No cameras allowed! 
We had a great time in our Nation's Capitol :)
All photos taken with my iphone5.


  1. Welcome back :) I will be coming back to this post for ideas as I might be going to Washington DC next spring ;) My boys would be all over the rocket and airplane stamps!

    1. I think it's a great place for kids! I always am baffled when I see children in las vegas, but I understand a family trip to dc :)

  2. Awesome trip! Glad you had a great time! ;-) (new reader)...waving hello

    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Sulieen!

  3. Looks like you had a great trip! The guest posts were fun to read while you were gone :)

    1. I am very thankful that my blog is in good hands while I'm away :)



Related Posts with Thumbnails