Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ex Postal Facto Submission

You all know I'm very excited about next year's Ex Postal Facto in San Francisco.  I wanted to submit a piece for the mail/art/book exhibit that will be there. Instagram is such a fun part of my life, I wanted to include it somehow. If you follow me on instagram, you know that it's mostly pictures of stationery/mail and cats. 
I picked up about 20 of my favorite images and printed them at a small size, about 2.5 inches square. I got out some of my most used rubber stamps, my photos, and some ink pads- I was ready to go! First, I needed the "book" part of this to be made. I like to work with what I have. 
I took a piece of air mail washi tape and, leaving a bit of space in between them, stuck two flat cards to the strip. Then I folded that strip over the top of the cards. I continued this until I had 6 cards connected accordion style. The plain gray looked just that- plain. So I got out some of my vintage paper stash and covered each card, front and back, with different vintage papers.
This is what it looked like when I was done covering each card. 
Now for the fun part- decorating! I figured out the way I wanted the photos arranged then using double stick tape, found a place for them. 
For some photos, I wrote captions. 
I had a lot of extra photos left over so I made an envelope out of one of my vintage ledger sheets and stuck the rest in there. 
I love this picture of Otto as a baby! So sweet :) There I was, with my "completed" piece. But something was missing...what? When Tony got home that day, I showed him what I had worked on. He immediately said "It would be really cool if the envelope that this was in, opened up to a cat shape."
I thought that was a crazy good idea. But, how to? I'm so lucky my genius, engineer husband has the desire to help me- he came up with this design on his own. After a few tweaks, it was perfect! I am so impressed by him, he is good at anything he tries (and it may have just turned into a new product for paper pastries...) 
When it was all done, I thought it was perfect. I stamped the address on the front and I was about to take it to the post office when I got a text from my brother in law. He had an idea, but didn't know if or how it could be used- Scratching Post Office. Do I have an amazing family or what? I quickly made a stamp that looks like a stamp cancellation mark and then it was complete! I am so excited to see what everyone else came up with. This was a very fun project.

8 comments:

  1. "Scratching Post Office"! Love that! The cancel stamp turned out wonderful! I really enjoyed how you documented the whole process. My cats are NOT ALLOWED on my writing desk, either. :) Great post. And good husband! I show my husband pieces that I am excited about and he, in no way, shows my enthusiasm. I think he rolls his eyes on the inside. Anywho, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the scratching post office- my sister and her husband came up with that! Isn't it great? I'm so lucky to have them help :)

      Delete
  2. I was curious as to what your submission looked like--thanks for letting us have a look. That cat envelope is awesome! Also love the "Scratching Post Office" stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Cindy
      I want to do more cat themed mail. That has a lot of potential.

      Delete
  3. I love this!! So glad you shared your process and end result. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside to hear that both your husband and brother-IN-LAW were into it. I love that so much! Your book is awesome and that cat template is just so clever! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Yes, the whole family gets involved when I have a project, it's a lot of fun.

      Delete

Thoughts?

Related Posts with Thumbnails